What I Would Give to Be a Kindergardener Again
Last month, I wrote nearly 10 Things Your Kindergarten Student Wants Y'all to Know. This month, I wanted to share The Truth About Teaching Kindergarten – a chip more than about what Kindergarten teachers may desire you to know!
*Want to save time and stress less? Bring together united states of america in the Print and Play Order and have unlimited admission to amazing resources and activities for Pre-K & Kindergarten!
The Truth About Teaching Kindergarten
If you are a Kindergarten teacher, you probable already know everything that I am about to say in this mail. Yous know what goes into a typical solar day in Kindergarten. You know what Kindergarten teachers and students practice each and every solar day.
I used to recall everyone understood what goes on in Kindergarten. At least, until I began to be on the receiving stop of comments such as these: (Please note that I understand these were sometimes said with the best intentions!)
"Oh, you teach Kindergarten – that must be pretty easy, right?"
"You lot really like Kindergarten? I would have guessed you would like something a bit more challenging where you do more than."
"Ahh, Kindergarten is fun, you get to teach them the alphabet!"
"It must be fun to play with the kids all day."
"What exercise you mean you tin can't join us? Schoolhouse gets out at 2:30 right?"
"Oh they are just and so cute! They must be dolls all mean solar day long."
"Back in my day, we had 30 kids in a class, 25 kinders isn't many."
"Kindergarten? Well at to the lowest degree they don't have to larn too much in Kindergarten."
What's Really Happening?
I used to (and sometimes still do honestly) get really annoyed at these comments and feel the need to defend myself and Kindergarten teachers everywhere.
And so I realized that the people making these comments actually aren't making them to be rude. I've come up to realize that honestly, they just don't know the truth well-nigh Kindergarten.
They call up they are merely making conversation and actually perhaps giving compliments. People only don't know, and can I fault them for that?
If I could guarantee that everyone in the world would read this mail, that would be glorious. I know the reality is that the people who read this post are probably already teachers. But, I am okay with that! We can stand together and know what really goes on in Kindergarten.
For a practiced express mirth, check out seven (funny) signs that you are a Kindergarten teacher.
Here's the Real Story
Here is the TRUTH near didactics Kindergarten (from the optics of this Kindergarten teacher anyway) in direct response to those comments:
"Oh, yous teach Kindergarten – that must be pretty easy, right?"
Kindergarten is virtually definitely not easy. I have taught 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade as well where, yep, the content grows and gets more complicated, only I find Kindergarten to exist the hardest, in my stance (and nonetheless my favorite) of all. (Non to say other grades aren't hard – teaching is hard!) You are taking some students who come in literally not knowing any letters or numbers, and unlocking the keys to literacy and math!
Accept you looked at the most current standards for what Kindergarteners need to know? (I guess if y'all aren't a instructor this probably wouldn't exist your weekend leisure reading. 🙂 ) It is not just ABC's and 123's but rather things such as: fluently adding and subtracting within five, decomposing numbers to 10, calculation and subtracting within 10, reading CVC words and high frequency words and much, much more.
When I taught older grades, if a student was struggling, I could go back to "the basics" and build up from there. In Kindergarten, nosotros kind of are the basics! If you ask me, sometimes the basics tin can be the hardest of all to teach, because they are the foundation pieces of future learning.
Forget academics for a minute. Some things we take for granted in a classroom (lining upward, going to the bathroom, sitting downwardly, putting things abroad, etc.) many Kindergarteners have NO Thought how to do at the beginning of the twelvemonth!
If you recollect getting 25 Kindergarteners in a line to follow you somewhere on the first solar day is like shooting fish in a barrel, think again. I am telling yous, they wander, they don't understand to follow the person in front of them until many railroad train songs and practise sessions later. If you don't believe me, come visit me in September. 🙂
Forget routines for a minute. Allow's talk social skills. Kindergarten is a HUGE yr for learning social skills.
Things such equally taking turns, conversations with peers, how to handle when y'all don't get your style, managing emotions. Those things are taught and fostered each mean solar day in Kindergarten and practice not just "happen." They also aren't easy to teach.
This is dissimilar than having children at home, where yes, VERY of import (perhaps the most of import) learning is happening. This is a whole classroom of children at once, each needing social skills support in dissimilar areas.
"You really like Kindergarten? I would take guessed you would similar something a bit more than challenging where you practise more."
I am not certain what y'all hateful by "do more." In Kindergarten, I don't think I always sit downward, unless I am reading a story or working with a small group. Instead, I am constantly on the go, assessing, evaluating, teaching, helping, nurturing, and much more.
If you mean more than challenging past more than challenging content, run into in a higher place about why Kindergarten content isn't necessarily "easy" to teach.
"Ahh, Kindergarten is fun, you get to teach them the alphabet!"
Yes, I practice go to teach them the alphabet, and that IS fun! I also teach them what those letters mean and how they chronicle to our everyday world and reading.
Phonemic awareness, number sense, patterning, life skills, social skills, are more ways I get to prepare them for their journey in schoolhouse and life.
"It must be fun to play with the kids all day."
I do accept fun pedagogy, and we do play in Kindergarten! I am very blessed to be in a schoolhouse that supports the importance of play at this historic period. Nonetheless, "all solar day" is a chip of a stretch, and I think the term "play" is not correctly understood.
When children are engaging with centers and toys (kitchen, blocks, legos, books, dramatic play, sensory) they are NOT "just playing."
They are:
– building social skills
– taking turns
– learning how to have conversations
– learning real life skills and applications
– doing math
– reading
– working on fine motor skills
– being inquirers
– making connections and much, much more
"What practice yous hateful you can't join us? School gets out at 2:thirty, correct?"
My students get out at ii:30 yes. I am allowed to get out at 4. Do I? Non ofttimes.
There is lesson planning, room preparing, paperwork, evaluations, data, and much, MUCH more. A teacher'due south piece of work is truly never done.
"Oh they are just so cute! They must be dolls all 24-hour interval long."
Yes, h owever, they are also 5 and half-dozen years quondam and learning how to navigate this world of schoolhouse.
Their social skills are developing and depending on personalities each day tin be very different from the next. They may cry, have tantrums, lash out, need more than support with interactions, be tired, cranky, and more.
This is to exist expected sometimes and it is my job to help them grow! It only, withal, isn't always so "cute." 🙂
"Back in my twenty-four hour period, nosotros had 30 kids in a course, 25 kinders isn't many."
If you lot asked your teacher I bet he/she would disagree. 🙂 The higher the number of students means less i-on-1 fourth dimension with students. I can assure you I piece of work HARD to ensure that my kids feel similar they are the one and only and I ensure that each and every child's individual needs are met. But I can guarantee that if I had a smaller class size it would be even stronger.
I have heard before, "Yous are doing slap-up with that many kids!" So my response is, "Well, and then imagine what I could do with less!"
While I wouldn't trade any of them for the earth, I know for a fact that smaller class sizes accept a significant impact on teachers and students both.
"Kindergarten? Well at to the lowest degree they don't have to learn also much in kindergarten."
I don't think I need to reply this one actually. Encounter in a higher place. 🙂
No matter if you are a teacher or non, each job in this world has its identify and is special in its own way. I truly believe that nosotros tin't fully understand someone'southward job unless we do it ourselves.
My hope is that these thoughts can provide a bit of a glimpse into not just a Kindergarten instructor's day, but really whatever teacher'south day!
I love teaching. It is such a huge role of me that I can't actually imagine doing anything else! So, for all you teachers out there, Kindergarten or not, go on on doing what y'all do best!
This postal service was non meant to just defend or share the hard things I do in a 24-hour interval. I want to end on this positive note of the many wonderful things I do (and every other teacher besides) every 24-hour interval!
Teacher Tips, Tricks, and Strategies!
Are you looking for ways to stress less while being notwithstanding being effective and having fun? Sign up for our FREE "Teacher Tuesday" e-mail series for Pre-Chiliad and Kindergarten Teachers that will deliver a helpful didactics tip right to your inbox every calendar week!
Whether y'all want to focus on math, literacy, classroom direction, or all things Pre-Yard/Kinder, I've got a helpful tip for you.
Set up to join the fun? Sign up now and start receiving our All-time "Teacher Tuesday" tips byclicking the large, yellow button beneath!
Want unlimited access to even MORE teacher support, activities, and resource?
Thenbe sure you request your invite so that you can be the outset to hear when the doors open up over again for our Print and Play Club !
With instant admission to hundreds of printables by topic and skill (no more than scouring the internet!), every TKC resource, video lessons, a digital games vault, "Super" Sunday Surprises, and much more – your planning time just got easier.
Request your invitation below for more info!
- Author
- Recent Posts
Source: https://thekindergartenconnection.com/the-truth-about-teaching-kindergarten/
0 Response to "What I Would Give to Be a Kindergardener Again"
Post a Comment